Heavenly Lake, Tianshan Mountains, Xinjiang
Snow-covered Heavenly Lake Scenic Area [Photo/VCG]
Located in Fukang of Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, the Heavenly Lake is surrounded by snow mountains and coniferous forest. In 1982, it became one of the first national-level scenic spots and was added on the list of Bogda Nature Preserve of Man and the Biosphere by UNESCO in 1990.
Shaped like a half-moon at a height of 1910 meters above the sea-level, Heavenly Lake is just like a green pearl inlayed into the northern side of the Tianshan Mountains. It is 3400 meters in length, 800-1500 meters in width and 105 meters in deepest point. The water of the lake comes from melted snow of the surrounding mountains, hence the place has become a well-known summer resort.
With Heavenly Lake as the center, the Heavenly Lake and Tianshan Mountains Scenic Area comprises four intact and vertical mountain landscape belts, which covers a total area of 380.69 square kilometers. In the mountains by Heavenly Lake, there lives many precious flora and fauna, such as snow cocks, roe deer and saussurea involucrate. The tops of the mountains are even home to contemporary glaciers and rich in resources such as copper, iron and mica.
Scenic Spot Level: AAAAA
Ideal Sightseeing Season: August and September
Opening Hours: 09:00 – 19:30 in peak season, 10:00-18:00 in off season
1. Admission fee: 95 yuan ($13.81) from April to October, 45 yuan from November to March.
2. Temple of Queen Mother of the West: 10 yuan.
3. Eco-museum of Heavenly Lake: 10 yuan.
4. Cableway: 20 yuan/one-way, 35 yuan/round-trip.
5. Other fees: sightseeing bus (60 yuan/round-trip), accumulator car (5 yuan/person each time), painted pleasure boat (50 yuan/person each time), speed boat (35 yuan/person each time), yacht (205 yuan/person each time).
Address: 40 kilometers east of Fukang city, 110 km from Urumqi, Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region
1. There is an obvious difference in temperature from day and in night in Xinjiang and temperature in some scenic spots is probably lower due to the high elevation or weather change. Therefore, it is still necessary to take along a coat or woolen sweater to keep warm during the summer.
2. Located in the northwest, Xinjiang has a lower average temperature than that in most areas of China, but ultraviolet irradiation in it is commonly higher. The highest temperature in some cities such as Turpan can reach above 40 degree celsius, so it is suggested to take along effective sun block and some medicines in case of sunburn and sunstroke prevention.
3. Xinjiang is a region of an ethnic minority with a common belief of Islam. Pork is one of the biggest taboos for Muslims, so please do NOT bring porky food into a Muslim restaurant or talk about pork in public areas.
4. Although most areas of Xinjiang are located in UTC+6, Beijing Time (UTC+8, national standard time of China) is officially used in Xinjiang. Due to the time difference of two hours later, sightseeing in Xinjiang is usually arranged between Beijing Time 09:00 and 20:00.
Peaceful Heavenly Lake [Photo/VCG]
Heavenly Lake Scenic Area, Tianshan Mountains, Xinjiang [Photo/VCG]